In order to maintain workplace hygiene and keep employees healthy, it’s critical to invest in the proper office cleaning supplies. Some of the most important workplace cleaning supplies include hand soap, disinfecting wipes, paper towels, and trash bags, but the list doesn’t end there.
While your janitorial list will vary depending on the size, type, and needs of your business, the following checklist provides a solid foundation for any small to mid-size company looking to keep the office spick and span.
A Simple week-Day Office Cleaning Schedule
Once you’ve acquired the proper cleaning supplies, it’s time to craft a regular cleaning schedule. Some tasks should be completed every day in order to maintain proper hygiene, while others only need to be completed once a week. If you don’t use a commercial cleaning service, make sure someone on your staff is in charge of maintaining the following five-day cleaning schedule.
Daily Cleaning Tasks
Communal office spaces get germy fastest because they’re used by multiple people, so focus your daily cleaning tasks on these areas. Use your cleaning supplies to take care of the following daily tasks:
- Empty trashcans that are at or near capacity and insert a new trash bag.
- Disinfect doorknobs, light switches, faucets, refrigerator handles, and other high-contact surfaces.
- Refill bath tissue, soap, and paper towel dispensers in the bathrooms and kitchen area.
- Clean and sanitize toilets, urinals, sinks, paper towel dispensers, and fixtures (e.g. door handles) in the bathrooms.
- Sweep and mop bathroom floors.
- Wash and put away any dishes left out in the kitchen or breakroom.
- Clean and sanitize the kitchen sink.
- Disinfect kitchen countertops.
Weekly Cleaning Tasks
Some cleaning tasks don’t need to be completed on a daily basis, but they should happen at least once a week in order to provide a deeper clean. The following tasks fall into this category
- Disinfect all flat surfaces (such as desks and tables).
- Mop all hard or tiled floors.
- Vacuum all carpets and mats.
- Wipe down all glass surfaces (including the inside and outside of windows).
- Wipe down all mirrors.
- Empty and disinfect all trash cans, and once they’ve dried replace the liners.
- Clean any walls with visible markings.
- Dust all lamps, hard surfaces, computers, etc.